The singing schedule for the next three months is as follows:
1. The First Tuesday singing (4 Mar, 1 Apr, 6 May): Heath Street Baptist Church, 84 Heath Street, London, NW3 1DN. 7.30 pm – 9.30 pm. Join us in the Holly Bush pub in Hampstead village afterwards, it is a very smart old pub and is almost never crowded.
The Heath Street Baptist Church venue is easy to find: 70 yards north of Hampstead tube on Heath Street (i.e. up the hill), church is on the right just after the zebra crossing. We sing in the church basement. The acoustics are fabulous, amongst the very best for Sacred Harp singing we have yet encountered in the UK.
2. The Second Tuesday singing (11 Mar, 8 Apr, 13 May): Heath Street Baptist Church, 84 Heath Street, London, NW3 1DN. 7.30 pm – 9.30 pm. See above.
3. The Third Monday singing school and singing (17 Feb, 17 Mar, 21 Apr), St. George’s Bloomsbury, Bloomsbury Way, central London, WC1A 2HR. 7.15 pm – 9.00 pm (ish). This is the flagship evening singing for beginners. Every Third Monday singing begins with a 45-minute introductory singing school for absolute beginners. We take things nice and slow and explain everything we do.
St. George’s is one of London’s great baroque churches, by architect Nicholas Hawksmoor. A Sacred Harp singing in this visually and aurally beautiful space has to be experienced to be believed. People travel for an hour or more each month just to attend the singing, because of the “angelic” acoustics with an almost 3-second decay. We are so fortunate that this is where newcomers can get their first taste of Sacred Harp music in the capital. Kudos to Werner Ullah for finding this fantastic venue for us.
Join us in the pub afterwards!
4. The “Last Wednesday” singing (26 Feb -please note, February Bethnal Green singing will be Christian Harmony only-, 26 Mar, 30 April), Bethnal Green Meeting House, Pott Street, Bethnal Green, E2 0EF, 7.45 pm to 10 pm – Our new venue in east London, a modern URC church with excellent acoustics. Come along for the singing, join us in the pub afterwards.
5. Christian Harmony (7-shape) singing (Fourth Thursday of the month, 27 Feb tbc, 27 Mar, 24 Apr), St Mary’s Primrose Hill,Elsworthy Road, London NW3 3DJ, 7.30 -9.30 pm
The First and Second Tuesday singings are held at Heath Street Baptist Church, 84 Heath Street, Hampstead, London NW3 1DN.
Two minute walk north on Heath Street from Hampstead tube station (Northern line). Church is on right just after zebra crossing. You can’t miss it. We sing in the basement.
Third Monday Singing School and Singing, St. George’s Bloomsbury, Bloomsbury Way, WC1A 2HR. Tottenham Court Road Tube (Central or Northern Line).
Exit 4 (Centre Point), walk along New Oxford Street (eastbound) for about 8 minutes until Bloomsbury Way / New Oxford Street split. Church is on Bloomsbury Way immediately on your left. The only big baroque structure in the vicinity – it definitely stands out! We sing in the main sanctuary. You have to experience this – it is stunning, both visually and aurally.
The “Last Wednesday” singing is held on the last Wednesday of every month at Bethnal Green Meeting House, Pott Street, Bethnal Green, E2 0EF.
Take the Central Line to Bethnal Green, come out of the tube station via the “Bethnal Green Road” exit. You will be at the corner of Cambridge Heath Road and Bethnal Green Road. Walk along Bethnal Green Road for approximately 60 seconds. The church will be on your left, at the corner of Pott Street and Bethnal Green Road.
Christian Harmony (7-shape) singing is held on the Third or Fourth Thursday of the month at St Mary’s Primrose Hill, Elsworthy Road, London NW3 3DJ.
Nearest public transport: Swiss Cottage (Jubilee Line) or Chalk Farm (Northern Line).
From Swiss Cottage tube, walk south for about 5 minutes to the corner of Adelaide Road, turn left into that road and at the first traffic light, turn right into King Henry’s Road. Continue about 5-10 minutes along that road until you come to the church on your right.
From Chalk Farm tube, go on Regent’s Park Road until you come to the bridge across the railroad tracks, cross the bridge and turn immediately right into King Henry’s Road. Continue about 10 minutes until you cross Primrose Hill Road. The church will be directly in front of you at that corner.